(Aged 9 to 13, Years 5 to 8)
Preparing for the Next Stage in Life
From Year 5 upwards pupils are taught by specialist teachers in all subjects and the focus is on higher order thinking, planning and writing skills as well as preparation for 11+ and 13+ examinations:
- Taking responsibility, from Heads of School to prefects, form captains and tribe captains, is key to developing our school leaders
- moving around the school between specialist teachers develops resilience, independence and maturity
- motivation by setting high targets and aspirations is backed up by gold stars and exciting offsite trips
- accelerated learning by offering an 11++ curriculum, Key Stage 3 and Common Entrance programmes means that pupils are prepared for Year 9 exams at the end of Year 8
- taking care of others through the tremendous buddying system and global eco programmes develops a strong sense of responsibility in all areas of life
- teaching pupils to take public examinations in their stride is part of ensuring a feeling of well-being that it vital in the years ahead with GCSEs and A Levels
Academic Skills Developed
Development of both English language and literature skills ensures that technical mastery of grammar and spelling is matched with creative writing through the media of poetry, storytelling, playwriting and persuasive advertising. The aim is to ensure that every child is an avid reader before they leave the school.
Understanding complex concepts is made easier by relating them to solving problems in the real world. Creative mathematics teaching ensures that the love of numbers is infectious at Yarrells. Pupils are inspired to enter national and global Maths challenges, program robots using information technology and test theories through scientific experiments.
By encouraging our pupils not to be satisfied by the obvious answer and to insist that they think outside the box, we prepare them for top level academic studies and for top jobs later in life. Letting them set up their own business in Years 7 & 8, sending them on leadership courses and giving them the opportunity to run Tribe assemblies and school events, enhances their whole approach to learning. We aim to ensure that by the end of Year 6, for those taking 11+, or Year 8, for those taking Common Entrance or Key Stage 3, our pupils are ready and confident to deal with whatever later life throws at them.